Paine to Pain is now around the corner. These are the pre-race instructions that were sent via email today:
1. Start: Gunshot is 9 am sharp on October 4th, rain or shine. Only a severe storm could alter plans. If you don’t pick up your packet beforehand, please leave ample time before the race for parking/packet details.
2. Number pick-up: We encourage runners to pick up race numbers, shirts and packets prior to race day at Westchester Road Runner at 179 E Post Road in White Plains:
Friday: 5-8 pm
Saturday: 10 am-4 pm
The first 50 runners to pick up their packet will also get a free copy of Trail Runner Magazine.
The store will also recycle old running shoes, so bring in the old ones that are stinking up your closet.
3. Parking: is available in four areas. If you are unfamiliar with the start, print out an online map to assist. The High School is next to the twin lakes that appear on some maps:
A. In the New Rochelle High School lot on North Avenue across from Broadview and the start. Space is limited in this lot.
B. Limited street parking on North Avenue.
C. In the High School lot behind the school on Clove Road.
D. Next to the High School track on Flandreau Avenue. This, however, is also our finish area, so if you park here you must exercise extreme caution when leaving due to later finishers coming down the street to the track.
4. Public transportation from NYC:
There is a Metro North train out of Grand Central at 7:37 then pulls in to New Rochelle at 8:08. A taxi from the station should be about $7. We expect about 30 Manhattan/Brooklyn runners, so look for folks to share a taxi with. To find taxis, go up the mid-platform stairs to the bridge over the tracks. There is a taxi stand next to the northbound track and also next to the southbound track after you cross the bridge and go through the station house.
Return trains are at 11:33 and 12:33.
5. Baggage drop: is available at the start. Bags will be brought to the finish line. Please don’t leave valuables in the bags as we are not responsible for them.
6. Course Markings: will be red, white and blue flags at trail intersections and occasional intervals.
7. Toilets: at the start, the 7.5 mile mark (Saxon Woods golf course clubhouse) and the finish.
8. Water: will be available at only three spots during the race, in addition to the start and finish. These stations are designed to re-fill water bottles or hydration packs. Water will be miles 3.8, 7.5 and 11.
9. The course closes: with a sweeper discharging police and volunteers and picking up flags, finishing in three hours. Please stay in front of the sweeper! We estimate that your finishing time will be your regular 1/2 marathon pace plus an extra 15-20 minutes to account for the rough terrain.
10. Post-race: we will have food and fluids, smoothies and massages. We expect an awards ceremony at 11:30 that will also include some raffles.
Feed-Back: We started with 50 people last year, will have 200 this year, and depending on trail capacity and parking, hope to expand to 350 next year. So we encourage feed-back regarding the race.
Sponsors: This race would not be possible without our sponsors. They include:
City of New Rochelle
Town of Mamaroneck
Village of Scarsdale
County of Westchester (Parks and Recreation)
Sound Shore Runners and Multisport Club
The Turkewitz Law Firm (NYC)
Westchester Road Runner (White Plains)