Final Instructions: 2010
OK this is it, the final instructions that were emailed to everyone. Published here in case you lost the email and are frantically looking for another copy:
1. Start: Gunshot is 9 am sharp on October 3rd, rain or shine. If you didn’t pick up your packet beforehand, please leave ample time before the race for parking/packet details.
2. Number pick-up: If you didn’t pick up early, race day pickup is at the start from 7:30-8:30.
You must show picture ID and know your bib number to register.
3. Parking: is available in two parking lots and on the street. The lot in front of the High School will fill up early. The lot behind the High School on Clove Road is quite large, and has a walkway bringing you past the front of the school toward the start. Click here for a printable map of the parking areas, which you can click again to enlarge.
DO NOT PARK ON BROADVIEW (start) OR FLANDREAU (finish), OR WE WILL HAVE YOU TARRED AND FEATHERED AND RUN OUT OF TOWN ON A RAIL. These are Colonial era punishments that we favor for those that try to park on the actual course.
4. Public transportation from NYC:
There is a Metro North train out of Grand Central at 7:37 that pulls in to New Rochelle (New Haven line) at 8:08. A taxi from the station should be about $7. We expect about 90 Manhattan/Brooklyn runners, so look for folks to share a taxi with. To find taxis, go up the mid-platform stairs to the bridge over the tracks. There is a taxi stand next to the northbound track and also next to the southbound track after you cross the bridge and go through the station house.
Return trains are at 11:33, 12:33 and 1:33.
5. Baggage drop: is available at the start. Bags will be brought to the finish line. Please don’t leave valuables in the bags as we are not responsible for them.
6. Course markings: will be red, white and blue flags at trail intersections and occasional intervals.
7. Toilets: porto-potties at the start (get there early!), the 7.5 mile mark (Saxon Woods golf course clubhouse) and inside the High School locker room at the finish.
8. Water: will be available at only two spots during the race, in addition to the start and finish. These stations are designed to re-fill water bottles or hydration packs. There will be large cups to grab and dump into your water bottles without breaking stride. Do not stop at the tables unless you need medical attention. Drop the cups within 50 yards of the water station in the trash cans we will have: Water will be at miles 7.5 and 11.
9. The course closes: with a sweeper discharging police and volunteers, finishing in three hours. Please stay in front of the sweeper! We estimate that your finishing time will be your regular 1/2 marathon pace plus an extra 15-20 minutes to account for the rough terrain.
10. Post-race showers!: we’ve arranged for the High School locker room to be opened so you can shower and change.
11. Post-race food, amenities, awards: we will have food, fluids and smoothies. The Personal Training Institute of New Rochelle and Club @ 800 of Rye Brook will provide staff to help you stretch. We expect an awards ceremony at 11:30 that will also include some raffles.
Feed-Back: We started with 50 people in 2008, we had 191 last year, and expect a field of 350-400 this year. We hope to have chip timing next year that will allow us to expand to 750 with wave starts. So we encourage feed-back regarding the race.
Sponsors: This race would not be possible without our sponsors. They include:
City of New Rochelle
Town of Mamaroneck
Village of Scarsdale
County of Westchester (Parks and Recreation)
Sound Shore Runners and Multisport Club
The Turkewitz Law Firm (NYC)
Westchester Road Runner (White Plains)
Have a great race!
Eric Turkewitz, Race Director