NewRo Runners, the group that organizes the Paine to Pain Trail Half Marathon, will host a preview run of the course on September 29th at 8 am. Please arrive 10-15 minutes early so that we can start promptly.
There are no fees.
All runners are invited to join us for this trail run, whether you are signed up for the race or not, and whether you want to run the whole loop or just a section (see below).
The preview is not a race, but simply a guided running tour of the P2P course, hosted by NewRo Runners, who will do this run as one of our regular weekend group runs.
We’ll have multiple groups – which we coyly designate as fast, medium and slow, because tall, grande and venti didn’t seem right. The groupings will generally (and very loosely) be:
- Fastest – training for 3:20 marathon or faster (or 1:30 ½-marathon)
- Medium – training for 3:20 – 4:00 marathon (or 1:30 – 2:00 ½-marathon)
- Slower – training for 4-5:00 hour marathon (All runners should be capable of running a 2:30 half marathon on the street – please, no walkers.)
There are no fees, no services, and you don’t have to be a member of NewRo Runners to join us. Just send me an email, or tweet (@PaineToPain) or mention it on our Facebook page, so that I have a general sense of how big our crowd will be and how many pacers we will need, and let me know which group you think you might run with. You can always change groups on the spot, or mid-run if you don’t like the leopard print shorts of the guy in front of you.
You can also run a shorter distance if you choose.
Important!! We do not meet at the starting line for P2P! We start, instead, at the trailhead for the Leatherstocking Trail. This is at the corner of Pinebrook Boulevard and Hillside Crescent in New Rochelle. (See map) There is parking available on Hillside Crescent.
There is one water stop along the way — a water fountain — at the Saxon Woods Golf Club, which has bathrooms as well. This is at the 6.8-ish-mile mark for this run (and the 7.5-mile mark for the actual race).
Your options are:
- 5.6 miles — Out and back on the Leatherstocking trail, which is linear and well-marked.
- 10 miles — Stay with the group until we head south down the Hutchinson River Trail (after passing the golf course) and then bail out at Pinebrook Boulevard. This is the same street we started on, but two miles to the north. Then run south (left) those two miles on Pinebrook back to the start. There are no turns to make after leaving the group.
- 13+ — The full monty. As an extra bonus, instead of running the Broadview hill at the start of the race, you get to run it at the end when you’re tired.
Please let me know if you will be able to join us.
And our thanks again to our gold level sponsors: